Monday, May 24, 2010

Victoria Day, eh?

Having been living in Canada the past 20 years, I know what Victoria Day is all about right? Well, no. “Shame on you”, you’d perhaps say and I would not argue. I SHOULD KNOW, so I “researched”. A few clicks after, this is what I’ve gathered:

*Victoria Day is a celebration of Queen Victoria’s birthday, May 24.

*It is always on a Monday.

*Canada, as member of Commonwealth of Nations of which Queen Victoria is head, observes Victoria Day as a statutory holiday.

*It always falls on the weekend before the U.S. Memorial Day holiday.

*Canadians generally spend the long weekend on a three-day getaway, lazing at cottages, gardening, raiding outlets south of the border, populating nearby parks with all sorts of ethnic dishes and delicacies, and viewing fireworks in designated venues to cap the holiday.

Some opt to stay at home to relax and “take it easy”. It is a welcome respite from hectic daily schedules – a perfect time to recharge.

True to Canadian tradition, my wife and I, together with some friends came back late last night from a two-day “raid and hunt” junket for bargains – something the wife loves to do. Such trips do not always result in “shop ‘til you drop” events, but turn out to be full of fun and camaraderie. This last one is no exception.

Today, May 24, is a beautiful sunny day. My wife is gardening while I am composing this blog. Tomorrow will be another day. I’ll deal with it as it comes.