Monday, March 09, 2009

Letter from Carah #2

Dear Osteinz,

Thank you for your response to my letter. I must say I appreciate you finding time to write.

I find it interesting that you said, “Belief in God or Supreme Being is not taught but innate. In fact, one has to be “educated” to deny this awareness.” I always thought it was the other way around – when we gain awareness about the world around us, we are conditioned to believe and accept the mores of our society including superstition. So we grow up believing that there are spirits or forces greater than us mortals and that if we don’t do their bidding (worship and sacrifices?), they’ll do us harm.

Shouldn’t I be thankful then that I am being “educated” to be free from this superstition? As my professor confidently prophesied, “By the time you finish this course, you will have been liberated from the bondage you are in if you believe in anything supernatural.” Is it not correct to say that the “supernatural” is imagined and pure concoction by those who knew nothing better? As we advance in our knowledge, shouldn’t we strip ourselves of explanations of our world which are fictitious, irrational and unscientific?

Awaiting your response.

Carah Nee Won

P.S. How do you pronounce your name?