Monday, September 19, 2011

What's so Sinister about Suicide?


What’s so Sinister about Suicide?

 Right off the bat, I’d like to say that I am not going to talk about the politics of this issue.  I don’t even mind if you call it “Dying with Dignity”, “Death with Honour”, “Assisted Suicide”, “Mercy Killing”or “Euthanasia”.  This is an issue that we cannot ignore, and I for one, will not just sweep it under the rug pretending it’s trivial.  Much of what I am going to write here is my personal view on the subject and although I will try to make it as consistent as possible with my current understanding of the Scriptures, there are professing Christians out there who may not necessarily share my convictions, hence, I will not be presumptuous and claim that this is THE Christian or THE Biblical Perspective.


Recently, in our Berean Forum, we talked about this in greater depth than what I’d care to write about here.  We presented the topic not to be controversial (although inevitable), but to ultimately answer the question, “What does the Scripture say?”  Why do we even care?  Well, there are more and more incidents of suicide that hug our Dailies’ headlines  and radio talk show hosts are having a field day.  The recent death of a luminary athlete comes to mind.  I remember driving to and from work and constantly hearing about it as I listened to the radio. This went on for days.  I reckon the Christian community should honestly address the issue.


Alright then, address the issue we must.


God is the Source of life. That’s indubitable truth.  It is then His sole prerogative to decide when to terminate it.  We can end the discussion right here, but let’s not.


The word suicide is derived from two Latin words “sui” (oneself) and “cidium” (slaying or killing).  Suicide is, therefore, rightly defined as “the act of intentionally killing oneself.  It is in other words “self-murder”.


We can now see that suicide is putting the decision on man’s hand to put an end to life.  Cited earlier, we said that God has that sole right and it appears that the Scriptures indicate He has not delegated that decision to man.  So let me state it clearly:  Man has absolutely no right to put an end to life. If he does he commits murder. “No exceptions?”, you ask.  I believe so.


Consider the following:


Jesus said,  I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.(John 10:10NIV)  His ministry was centered on setting people free from bondage and oppression, healing, comforting, bringing the dead to life, and imparting hope to the despairing even as He preached and taught about the kingdom of God.  Jesus wants us to celebrate life.  To kill and destroy is the work of darkness but eternal life is His gift to us.


Suicide is never a solution.  It comes from the pit of hell and smells like smoke.  It is plain and simple murder.  One of the Ten Commandments clearly states, "Thou shalt not kill".


Are you tired of life? Jesus invites you to come to Him and He will provide the much-needed  rest that refreshes your soul (Matt. 11:28).

No comments: