Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father’s Day, Abba Father God!

Father’s Day! Whoever came up with the idea is to be commended for indeed fathers are to be honoured, not just today but throughout the year. God ordained them to become channels of life for us. We would not be alive without them and that is why in recognition of this fact, respect for parents spans all cultures. Showing disrespect is taboo and utterly disdained.

Personally, I had not appreciated my father to the extent that I should have had until I became a father myself. If he was alive today, I would not hesitate to express my deepest gratitude to him for being my father. Oh yes, he was far from perfect (no father is) but looking back, I am fully convinced that he did what he believed was best for his family. He worked really hard to provide for them and meet their needs. He tried his very best to communicate his love and care for us however verbally scant it had been, for he was a man of few words but lavish in action.

I hope that you had a chance to convey your appreciation to your father today. Let me encourage you to do it regularly and as often as you are able.

Today in church, the guest speaker expounded on the familiar story of The Prodigal Son. Unlike messages I heard in the past based on this parable of Jesus, the speaker focused more on the father – how he handled the request (or was it a demand?) of the son to get his portion of inheritance; how he perhaps periodically looked out the window hoping to see him coming back; how he ran to meet him when he eventually showed up; how he embraced him and kissed him profusely not minding the stench and his dishevelled appearance; and, how he celebrated with friends the return of his prodigal son. In all these, the father broke a number of what were considered “politically correct” in the culture of the day, but notwithstanding, he unreservedly showed his love.

This is a wonderful picture of the Father heart of God . We are all undeserving of salvation but because of His grace, He welcomes us back to His kingdom with open arms. He is our Father and He deserves all the accolades that we can offer Him today, and always.

Happy Father’s Day, Abba Father God!

No comments: